Google Groups at CA:
The Google Groups is a Google Apps Forum service. It is being used at CA wherever we can automatically determine Group Membership, based on a characteristic of a user account. Here, we are talking about someone being enrolled in a class, or assigned a department, or is part of a team that needs to easily share documents or calendar invites. To find out more, check out What can I do with Groups?
If Group membership is determined by an individual subscribing, or joining an affinity group, we are deploying a different Forum tool (powered by vBulletin).
If you are trying to create a collection of contacts in Google Mail to facilitate emailing an arbitrary group of people (repeatedly), you are actually looking for Google Contact Groups.
Use-Case Scenarios for Google Groups at CA:
- Google Groups for Courses.
- Google Groups for internal business process teams (Enrollment Management, AOD, Department Heads Team).
- Google Groups for Internal Departmental Mailing lists.
- Google Groups for External Email Addresses.
- Google Groups for Hiring Commitees.
- Google Groups for Boarding.