Skip to main content
Concord Academy

General Information

Change of Status for Boarding Students

Families may request a temporary change of status due to medical or emotional health concerns. A letter from an outside provider outlining the medical reasons for the request is required and should be sent to the Director of Health and Student Support Services. Depending on the length of absence, students on leave from the boarding community are still obligated to pay the boarding tuition while enrolled at the school, as the school incurs certain fixed costs regardless of whether a room is occupied.


The school reserves the right to change the status of students from boarding to day due to medical or emotional health concerns based on our resources and the ability to safely support the student and the boarding community. These personal leaves may be temporary or last a semester or longer.


Finally, if a family is requesting a permanent status change from boarding to day, they must write a letter to the director of enrollment management no later than January 31st of the academic year prior to the request.


Change of Status for Day Students

Day students wishing to become boarding students may request to do so by submitting a letter to the dean of students and the director of enrollment management on or before January 31 for the upcoming school year. The letter should state the reason for the request and must be signed by both the student and their parent(s)/guardian(s). Those students wishing to become boarding students are encouraged to speak with their parents, the director of residential life, and the dean of students to discuss boarding life and the expectations and responsibilities associated with becoming a boarding student. Students who submit applications by January 31 will be notified of decisions as soon as possible, usually by mid to late April.


Transportation and Travel Arrangements

Transportation to and from school for day students is arranged by each family. Juniors and seniors with licenses are permitted to park on campus if space allows, and a parking permit has been granted; however, we encourage the use of public transportation and carpooling whenever possible. When students are leaving school while under the school’s oversight, permission must be granted by the Student Life Office or the Health Center. When boarders enter a car, go into a private home, or go beyond the bounds of extended campus, they must follow sign out procedures as indicated in Appendix D.


Travel arrangements for weekends and/or breaks for boarders should be made in consultation with our calendar. We expect all students to be present when classes are in session, thus we remind all families to carefully plan travel based on the academic schedule as well as when our houses are open. Please refer back to our calendar in the Academic Program portion of this handbook. CA arranges a shuttle to Logan Airport and South Station for each major break (Thanksgiving, Winter, March) but if the time of those shuttles do not work for a student’s flight, bus, or train the Student Life Office can help make taxi arrangements with enough advanced notice. Please see our CA Whereabouts Standards for more information regarding student travel off campus.


Multiple Households

In order for the school to most effectively communicate with parents and support each student, it is important for teachers and administrators to be aware of students who spend time in multiple households. Please be sure to communicate to the school about primary caregivers in the event of an emergency, and whether special co-parenting arrangements exist. If there are court-ordered guidelines regarding visitations, please include the school in the communication loop.


The school also understands that significant others may live in or be affiliated with the household who are unrelated to a parent or student and who are also involved in the student’s life. If a parent wishes to designate such an adult as someone who is permitted to receive information about the student, or otherwise participate in school events, the school requires that a parent provide that information in writing to the school.  If there is disagreement between parents about such a designation, the school will not permit the additional adult to have access to the school until the dispute is resolved—absent input from the school.


Remote Learning

Under extraordinary circumstances, such as an epidemic, pandemic, governmental action or other reason, the school may be required to initiate a remote learning program if it determines that it preserves the health and safety of the school community. In order to facilitate remote learning, the school may record audio and video of certain classes, meetings, and other school related events (“Recordings”).  Students and other individuals will participate in Recordings in real-time, as well as view Recordings at later times. The school does not intend to edit the Recordings.  Thus, in addition to educational content, the Recordings will likely capture the students’ and other participants’ names, appearances, voices, personal information and characteristics, activities, and any other information that occurs or is provided during the Recordings.


If and when the school transitions to a remote learning environment, families will be given more detailed information about the process, and will be asked to consent to the school’s recording of remote learning activities, as described above.


Activities Accounts

All students have an activities account, which can be used for school sponsored activities, fundraisers, books, supplies, club gear, snacks, etc. on campus. The funds roll over from one year to the next during a student’s career, and the remaining balance is either returned to the student upon graduation or returned to the financial aid budget.   


Fees and Finance

The Finance Office is located in Aloian House and is staffed 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Itemized tuition bills are sent via Smart Tuition and your Smart account is available for your review at any time. A separate statement for the student activities account is emailed each month. Tuition bills include tuition, insurance, and music lessons. All other student expenses are charged to the student’s activities account. Bills are due and payable upon receipt. 

Please note that no student may register and begin classes unless all current tuition charges and all bills from the previous semester have been paid in full. All senior student account balances must be paid in full prior to graduation in order for a student to receive their diploma, as permitted by applicable law.

Most boarding students open a checking account with a local bank in downtown Concord. Other students prefer to maintain an account with their home bank. In either case, local merchants in downtown Concord may require students to present a school ID card when paying by or cashing a check.

School ID cards are issued to new students in the fall after registration. Lost cards need to be reported immediately to the Assistant Director of Facilities and Grounds in the Maintenance Barn in order for the card to be deactivated. A new card will be issued at a cost of $35. Because most school-related expenses are charged to the student’s activities account, the need for cash on hand tends to be modest. Boarding students are strongly encouraged not to keep money or valuables in their rooms.

Students will occasionally be charged for special events and entertainment on or off campus, most of which are optional. Athletic apparel and equipment, some of which is necessary for participation on athletic teams or in physical education classes, are available for purchase from the Athletic Department or through our partnership with a store in downtown Concord.

Students should not ever keep more than $150 dollars in cash in their room or on their person.  This is when we expect students to exercise Common Trust with Common Sense. Cash is not traceable, and therefore we expect students to use banks for savings, and debit/credit cards for larger purchases.


CA Parents

CA Parents, the school’s parent/guardian organization, offers current parents and guardians opportunities to become involved in, and strengthen, the life of the school community. Parent and guardian volunteers participate in a range of activities, from the Concord Academy Residential Enrichment Program (CARE Program) to being an athletic team coordinator, from volunteering as a Parent Admissions Tour Guide to working with the Annual Fund Committee. In addition, CA Parents hosts periodic meetings to share news about programs and school life, as well as informal opportunities to socialize during the school year.


Parental/Guardian Comportment and Support for School Policies

At CA, we believe that a positive relationship between the school and a student’s parents or guardians is essential to the fulfillment of the school’s mission. We recognize that effective relationships are characterized by clearly defined responsibilities, a shared commitment to collaboration, and open lines of communication, mutual respect, and a common vision of the goals to be achieved.


The school understands and appreciates that parents and guardians may employ different means to meet the expectations and responsibilities of forming a collaborative partnership with the school. Nevertheless, CA, at any time, may dismiss a student whose parent, guardian, family member or other adult involved with the student, in the sole judgment of the school, fails to comply with this or any other policy or procedure of the school, engages in conduct either on or off the school’s property that could undermine the authority of the school’s administration, and/or otherwise behaves in a manner that is unbecoming of a member of the school community. The school may refuse re-enrollment of a student if the school, in its sole discretion, believes the actions of a parent or guardian on or off the school’s property make a positive, constructive relationship impossible, or otherwise may interfere with the school’s accomplishment of its mission and/or educational goals.



Re-enrollment at the school is not automatic. A student is promoted to the next grade when they have satisfactorily met the expectations of their current grade, when the school feels it can continue to meet the student’s needs, and when the behavior and comportment of the student and family are consistent with the school’s policies.


After the spring grading period, the faculty may review the academic and citizenship standing of all students. At this time, students who are on Dean’s Warning and/or who, in the opinion of the school, are not living up to the standards of the school community, may have their enrollment contract for the following school year withheld until the end-of-year review.


Re-Admission Policy

The head of school reviews the academic and behavioral records of students at the end of each school year. A decision to re-enroll a student and to subsequently forward a re-enrollment contract to the parents is based upon a student’s academic record, effort, attitude and behavior throughout the prior year, and upon the willingness of the parents to accept and exemplify their responsibility in the partnership of education. On occasion, re-enrollment contracts are held until later (usually April or May) when the school decides that an appropriate decision about placement can be made, or are not extended at all, if the school determines that such a recommendation is in the best interest of the student and/or the school community. The head of school, in their sole discretion, makes the final decision as to whether a student will be invited to return for another year.


This difficult conclusion is only reached after careful consideration. While parents are obviously involved in this process, the school will make the ultimate decision, and will assist, if possible, in the process of locating an appropriate alternative school.


Sibling Enrollment

Applications for admission, from both current and new families, must be submitted by January 15. Enrollment decisions, regardless of a family’s prior or current relationship to the school, are always made at the school’s sole discretion.