Dear New Student:
Welcome to Concord Academy's Modern and Classical Languages Department! We want you to have an interesting, enjoyable, and challenging experience with at least one of the five languages we offer: French, German, Latin, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish. To fulfill our graduation requirement, all students must successfully complete the third level of one language at Concord Academy. Like most colleges, we urge you to continue studying the language you select throughout your high school years in order to achieve as high a level of proficiency as possible.
If you wish to take two languages this fall,
you must have had prior classroom experience in at least one of them; you can find further information at the link at the END of this letter.
Language(s) choice and placement
Your choice of language(s) should reflect personal commitment and not necessarily be dictated by the language you have already begun or by what was offered at your previous school. To help us place you appropriately at Concord Academy, there are two items on CA Connect (this website) that you need to work on: a questionnaire that you complete with your teacher (if possible), and a placement test that you complete on your own. Download and print out the items you need, and complete them by the deadline indicated below. All links to these items are listed at the END of this letter.
If you are beginning a new language,
- Fill out the appropriate portions of page 1 of the questionnaire only.
- There is no need to complete a placement test.
If you are continuing in one language,
- Complete the entire questionnaire, if possible with the help of your current teacher.
- Take the placement test. Follow the instructions and work carefully. Work alone and with no books, notes, or dictionaries. Since the placement test helps us to place both advanced and beginning students, some of the material will almost certainly be unfamiliar to you. Don’t let that worry you. It is in your best interest to take the test completely on your own so that your results accurately reflect your current skill level.
If you are requesting two languages,
- Print out two questionnaires, one for each language.
- Complete a questionnaire and a placement test for each language.
If you are taking a placement test for one of our modern languages (French, German, Mandarin, or Spanish), then you will take the test online, and all results for these tests will automatically be sent electronically to Concord Academy.
New students who wish to continue the study of Latin at Concord Academy should download and print the Latin placement test found at the link below, and then do the work directly on the printed copy. Before you look at the test, do some review, if you wish, but while taking the test do not use any resources other than the information provided on the test. Return the completed placement test along with all other course request materials.
Deadline for materials to be returned
Your language questionnaire and placement test are essential parts of requesting next year’s courses, and they need to be completed and returned with your other course request materials by 3:00 p.m. Wednesday May 9.
If you have any questions about the languages we offer, our placement tests, graduation requirements, or anything about our department that is not explained on our website, please do not hesitate to contact me.
On behalf of all the teachers of the Modern and Classical Languages Department, let me welcome you to Concord Academy and wish you bonnes vacances, schöne Ferien, buenas vacaciones, bonas ferias, 假期愉快！We look forward to meeting you in the fall in our classes.
Modern and Classical Languages Department Head