Computers have found their way into nearly everything we do at CA and beyond, so it’s important to be confident with technology. We ask that you show a level of fluency with computers either by passing the Creative Computing course in your first year, or by earning an exemption from the course by taking the Computer Science Placement Test. If you do earn an exemption, we'll ask you to take at least a one-semester Computer Science course sometime during your CA career. New students who do not earn the exemption will have Creative Computing added to their course requests if they haven't already requested it.
If you plan to take the test, please note:
- To prepare for the test, look through the Topic List and Sample Questions (link at END of this letter).
- The test requires a web-capable Mac or Windows computer running the software mentioned in the topic list.
- Please take the test on your own, without help from friends and family members, websites, the sample test, etc. We want your results to accurately reflect your current skill level.
- Please email the test within 1 hour of downloading it, even if you aren’t finished. As the test is used for placement, students are not expected to complete the whole test, but please give all problems a try so we know where you stand with each skill.
When you are ready to take the test:
- To save time, open the programs you will need for the test ahead of time: a web browser, email, a word processor, a spreadsheet program, presentation software, and photo editing software.
- Write down the time, open the test (link at END of this letter), and be sure to email or share your files within 1 hour, even if you haven’t finished. You may find that some of the material is unfamiliar to you, and that's okay!
Computer Science Department Head