Hello, and welcome!
Computers have found their way into nearly everything we do at CA and beyond, so it’s important to be confident with technology, beginning in your first year with us. We ask that you show a level of fluency with computers either by passing the Creative Computing course in your first year, or by earning an exemption from the course by taking the Computer Placement (CP) Test before you arrive. Creative Computing teaches skills you will use throughout your CA career and beyond.
If you decide to take the test, please note:
- You may take the Computer Placement Test only once, and it's okay if you decide not to take it — we’ll add Creative Computing to your first year schedule.
- Please email the test within an hour of downloading it, even if you aren’t finished. The test is used to place incoming students; so most students are not expected to complete the whole test.
- Please take the test on your own, without help from parents, books, websites, this document, etc. We want your results to accurately reflect your current skill level.
- To prepare for the test, look through the Topics List, and try the Sample Questions.
- The CP Test requires a web-capable Mac or PC running the software mentioned in the Topics List.
When you are ready to take the test:
- To save time, open the programs you will need for the test ahead of time: a web browser, email, a word processor, Excel or Numbers, presentation software, and photo editing software.
- Write down the time, open the test, and be sure to email it within 1 hour, even if you haven’t finished—you may find some of the material is unfamiliar to you.
Thank you — I look forward to seeing you in the fall!
Computer Science Department Head