Individual Music Instruction and Music Composition
1. Tuition billing and refunds
Individual Music Instruction (IMI) and Music Composition are year courses. Tuition fees are listed in the course catalog.
Tuition fees for IMI and Music Composition are billed for the full year. Music instructors communicate the tuition refund policy to their student during the first lessons.
- If a student withdraws from IMI or Music Composition on or before the fourth class meeting, the family is charged for four class meetings, and remaining tuition fee is refunded.
- If a student withdraws from IMI or Music Composition after the fourth class meeting, the tuition fee for the year is not refunded except at the discretion of the academic dean and the Performing Arts Department head.
- If a student is suspended, is dismissed, or withdraws, there is no tuition fee refund. Tuition insurance does not apply to tuition for Individual Music Instruction or Music Composition.
Students may enroll in a single semester of the year course only if (a) they are attending a semester-away program, or (b) they elect to add second-semester IMI in piano, voice, or guitar after completing the corresponding Basic course in first semester. In these cases, half-year tuition is billed.
2. Making up a missed lesson
Classes in IMI and Music Composition will be made up for the following reasons:
- The instructor is ill or has to miss a class for any other reason.
- The student is ill and has notified the instructor 24 hours prior to the class*.
- The student is ill and in the Health Center during the class meeting time.
- The student has an excused absence and has notified the instructor 24 hours prior to the class*. Excused absences include occasional CA field trips, religious holidays, medical appointments, and college visits.
*All students should be sure to have their instructor's telephone number and email address.
Classes in IMI and Music Composition will not be made up for the following reasons:
- School has been canceled due to weather or other emergency
- A class is forgotten, missed because of a conference with another teacher, missed to study or to finish an assignment, missed because of a suspension, missed because of kitchen duty, or cut for any other reason.
3. Instruction required for students enrolled in CA instrumental music ensembles
The following policies apply to students enrolled in an instrumental music ensemble* that has continued instrumental study as a corequisite:
- The student is required to attend the scheduled Musicianship Workshops at CA in the student's first year of ensemble participation.
(* This requirement also applies to students in their first year of Chorus participation; however, Chorus does not require continued iIMI voice study.)
- If the student's instrumental study takes place outside of CA, then the music lesson frequency must be at least weekly.